So, in the last post, I made a 15 point list of what I have been learning lately as a challenge to myself and you to begin to take conscious and serious note of what God and life have been teaching us. They are numerous but one-step-at-a-time is my motto. Here is another list of some of my lessons.
1. God WILL do His work. Stop worrying. It is not my job to tell God how to do His. Just let go and let God be God.
2. Oyindamola, there is a thin line between HATE and INDIFFERENCE. There is a HUGE difference between love and lust. Love is selfless, but lust is SELFISH. Love is about ‘them’ but lust is about ‘me’. Love IS God. Lust is well…SIN.
3. My acceptance before God is not based on what I do. It is based on His love and mercy. Thinking otherwise is an awful case of pride.
4. Most of the things I call ‘personal stuff’ are actually rotten stuff about me that I don’t want people to see, so I go “…It’s personal.” (*yinmu -__-).
5. Learn to place your priorities right. Whatever adds no value to you is just unnecessary baggage. Get rid of it.
6. Learn to know God for yourself. To seek Him for Him and for me. Not for ANYBODY. Hypocrisy never got anyone a medal. At least nothing eternal.
7. Most times, I demand of people what I do not demand of myself. I place a GINORMOUS fence for them to climb while I neatly stack a couple of stones for myself to jump. This is just terrible.
8. You don’t always have to talk. There is a thing called SILENCE. Learn it.
9. Marriage is not as easy as it sounds. There are starry-eyed moments alright, but boy is it serious business.
10. Write because you have to breathe. Write because it is an obligation of the divine on you. Write because you need it more than they do. Write NOT for the accolades. Write NOT just for the self-expression. Write for the God-expression. Write when you feel like it. Write when you don’t. Write in all sorts of weird places. Write until God’s truth dawns on you like the first lights of day. Write till your limbs grow tired. Read. Read. Write. Write. LIVE and write. BE.
11. You’re a weirdo. Maybe you should just accept it already. Own it.
12. Stop obsessing over that girl in the mirror, she is not the real you. There is only one true mirror and that is God’s Word and what He thinks of you. Okay?
13. Contrary to popular opinion (mine), time is not something to be trifled with. It is impatient and thoroughly stealthy. You must do what you must do like NOW.
14. Take off your mirrored lenses. Look at people and when you do look, SEE them. Not yourself. In fact, as much as possible, eliminate the words, “I”, “me”, “my”, “myself” from your vocabulary, Oyindamola. Seriously!
15. She who would have friends must prove herself friendly.
16. No matter how hard you try, no matter what you eat, you will forever look lean in your mother’s eyes. So, whatever you do, DON’T LISTEN TO HER (in this case) because you’ll get extra fat and she’ll still go, “You are soo lean.”
17. Ask questions till everyone concludes you are dumb.
18. Doubt does not always mean you are faithless (?). Sometimes, it means you are still thinking and maybe that is not so bad.
19. It is not enough to write a fancy list of stuff you have been learning. Be very deliberate. Be practical. Everyone knows these things but what makes us different is what we do with what we know.
20. Keep learning. Keep walking. You’ll be fine.
Sigh. I hope by now you realize this transcends the lately time frame. I probably dug up some forgotten lessons from over the years. It’s cool though. It made me think and ponder what the melons I have been doing with my life.
“Anything you say to the wise will make them wiser. Whatever you tell the righteous will add to their knowledge.” (Proverbs 9:9 – GNB).
Which of the lessons above can you relate to? What have you been learning lately? Are you taking note? What do you plan to with them? What are they?
I’d love to hear them…
*yinmu – the upward tilting of ones nose, meant to be a smirk but infinitely more loaded with an, “it’s a lie” or “be deceiving yourself” intent. Something like this.